Friday 13 January 2012

Tam O Shanter rides into McTear's!

An oil painting by one of Scotland's leading artists which depicts a scene from a famous Robert's Burns poem is up for auction at McTear's. Tam O Shanter by Graham McKean shows Tam being attacked by a witch as he rides horseback through Alloway Kirk after a night in the pub.

An avid fan of Burns, McKean has been flirting with the idea of this painting for six years but only felt able to do the work justice now he has had more experience as a professional artist. Talking of the oil on canvas - which is expected to sell at between £4000 and £6000 - McKean said:

"Tam O Shanter is obviously one of Burns' most well-known and well-loved poems. I've heard and read the poem many times over the years, and I've always had a picture in my head of the witch grabbing onto Meg the horse, while Tam is looking back in terror.

I felt now was the right time to do it as I just didn't feel I was good enough before. I really feel I have created a painting that I can proudly call a celebration of the poem."

Tam O Shanter will be in McTear's Fine and Contemporary Pictures auction on Tuesday 17th January 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment